Seminole County Virtual School (SCVS) and Florida Virtual School (FLVS) are online high schools serving students around the world in public, charter, and private schools, as well as home schooled students.
Online courses provide opportunities for students to attend classes anytime from anywhere; however, students are sometimes unprepared for the challenges of online learning. In order to help you know if you will be successful learning online, consider the following questions prior to requesting courses:
- Can I prioritize, organize, and complete assigned work within a deadline?
- Do I enjoy independently solving problems and taking responsibility for what I learn?
- Are my writing, reading, and communication abilities on level?
- Do I prefer to work alone on assignments?
- Can I follow directions rather than depending on an instructor to explain every detail?
- Are classroom discussions important to me?
- Am I willing and able to learn and apply new software application?
- Do I own or have access to a computer with Internet access and email?
- Taking into consideration my personal, academic, work and extracurricular activities (sports, clubs, etc), can I devote at least as much time to my online class as to my other classes?
It is important for you to monitor your FLVS account for updated information regarding course status. When placed in your desired course, you will be contacted by your SCVS or FLVS teacher via your online account. To check your messages: Login to www.flvs.net, click on Messages, then click on inbox.
You are responsible for your own computer, software, and Internet Service Provider when taking SCVS or FLVS courses off campus.
Your SCVS/FLVS teacher will help you set a pace to complete the course in approximately 18 weeks for a semester or 36 weeks for a year-long course. Students may work more rapidly by submitting extra assignments. Your school district may have additional deadlines to consider when taking an online course. Please discuss with your counselor any scholarship, rank, or drop/add implications.